Monday 1 August 2011

A Fascinating Time

Since Kate Middleton arrived on the scene, fascinators are where it's at. According to Wikipedia (aka a credible and reliable source), "a fascinator is a headpiece, a style of millinery. The word originally referred to a fine, lacy head covering akin to a shawl and made from wool or lace." Wikipedia then uses this photograph of four women all wearing the same fascinator, and all looking equally bad:

Wikipedia should have used this photograph, because it paints fascinators in a much better light:


Basically, they're a headband with a bunch of feathery frou-frou on it, and they are really fun to wear. But even more fun to try on!! My favourite department store, John Lewis, has a millinery department, and when Matthew's mum Susan was here, we did a little bit of fascinating dress-up while Eliz slept.

It's a good thing I never tried out for Canada's (or Britain's, for that matter) Next Top Model, because seriously? Tyra Banks would not have been able to give me any tips. Clearly, I was made to be photographed - so natural in front of a lens!! :)
Even Matthew got in on the fun. I'm sure he loved it. L-O-V-E-D it. Right babe?

Hawkeye wears the fascinators with such flair.

Then we checked out the shoes on sale, and I am still kicking myself for not buying these bad boys when I had the chance. I wonder why they were on sale??? Surely someone should have grabbed them up by now?
"Hello, England's Best Dressed List? I'm calling to nominate myself."
With these shoes on, I was tall enough to kiss Matthew without lifting my chin - and he is 11 inches taller than me!!! Yowza.

No comments: